Jeff Harmon walks through how to significantly speed up you culling process in Lightroom by using the Embedded Preview workflow:
- Disable background processes (pause syncing to Lr CC, pause addresses lookup, pause face detection)
- Set critical preferences (Camera Raw Cache at least 50GB, enable “Use Smart Previews instead of Originals for Image Editing”, enabled Generate Previews in Parallel if you have a quad core CPU)
- Import using Build Previews of “Embedded & Sidecar”. Do NOT check the box to Build Smart Previews”. Do NOT add to a collection and sync to Lr CC. Do not apply any import presets.
- Start culling as soon as Lightroom shows you the Library module grid view. STAY in the Library module until culling is done. Use the “g” key for the “grid” view and the “e” key for the loupe (“everything”) view. Do NOT use quick develop in the Library module. Do NOT go to the Develop module and do anything in there.
- Once done culling, filter down to the images that have survived and then choose Library->Previews->Build 1:1 Previews. You can also put those images into a collection and mark that collection to be synced with Lr CC.
- Take a break to get some water, walk around for a few minutes, use the bathroom.
- Create Photography Retreat 2019 in Las Vegas: https://createphotographyretreat.com/
- Improve Photography Roundtable Episode – Top Three Things Taken from Retreat
- Jeff’s Idea to have Adobe add a Cull Module to Lightroom – http://bit.ly/cullmodule
- Jeffrey Friedl’s Image Metadata Viewer website – http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi
- Photo Taco Episode – Culling Like a Pro
Other Photo Taco Resources:
- Photo Taco Archive: https://phototacopodcast.com/category/phototaco
- Improve Photography Podcast Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ImprovePhotographyListeners/
- Photo Taco Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/phototacopodcast/
- Photo Taco email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeff’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/harmon_jeff
- Jeff’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/jsharmonphotos/
- Jeff’s Portfolio: http://jsharmonphotos.com
- Jeff’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/harmonjeff/
- MacPhun Luminar: http://macphun.evyy.net/c/362006/185399/3255